Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Barf!

You may (or may not) have noticed that I've taken a bit of a blogging hiatus this summer. It is called summer break for a reason is it not? (Or does that just apply to school? After Kindergarten, I thought that you didn't have to go to Church during the summer either... boy was I in for some disappointment! But I digress...) However, I had to sit down at the computer and document my weekend for the sake of family history. This should not be forgotten!!!!

This past Wednesday through Friday Sam was on a business trip yet again (He has gone on at least one a month since April. Before that it was about every other month). This summer, Sam and I played on a softball team through Sam's work (Battelle has its own league.), and this past Friday our team had an "End-of-the-Season" get-together. Even though Sam was in DC, I decided to take the kids and go. Well, it turns out that I was the only one there with kids---whiney, crying kids to be exact. After wrangling with the kids for a while, I decided Brinley's crankiness was due to hunger, so I went in another room to feed her. Levi followed me in, munching on a carrot. As I was finishing up with Brinley, Levi started to cough and spit out chewed up carrots all over the carpet. So I quickly sat Brinley up... just in time to notice Levi gagging and to reach out my cupped hands. Yes... I caught an entire handful (well... two actually) of barf. My first thought was, "Wow... I am really a real mom." My next thought was "Oh CRAP!" Why? Because I realized that I had just finished nursing Brinley, and had not had time to do up my bra or pull my shirt back down and now I couldn't because my hands were full of barf.... AND I HAD NO HUSBAND TO HELP ME!!! Luckily, (very very, very luckily) I was using a sarrong with the ends tied together as a nursing cover, so both the front and back of me were covered when I stood up and went into the kitchen. I headed to the sink, only to find both of them full of ice and drinks. Thankfully, the garbage was pulled out, so I headed that direction. Just then, a lady noticed the kiddie throw-up and grabbed me a bunch of paper towels. Everyone was very nice and helpful, and the home owners tried their best to make me feel better. We stayed a while longer, but after about 20 minutes of not being able to talk to another adult because to kids were constantly pulling on me, I gave up and headed home.

Fast forward two days to Sunday. One of the ladies I work with in Young Women's brought some very yummy oatmeal craisin cookies to share, I had snuck two for Sam and Levi. After getting Levi from the nursery, I gave him a cookie. Then about two minutes later, I heard the same gagging. This time, I only got one handful of barf because I was holding Levi on my hip with the other. Instead, both Levi and I ended up covered in puke. We were right next to a garbage can, but the boys had already taken out the bag to the garbage. A very nice young man, hurried and got a new one put in the there, which was great, because Levi continued to puke a couple more times. So, picture if you will, I am standing the the main foyer after church, holding a handful of barf and loudly calling out, "Can someone please find Sam for me!" People at Church are the greatest, because they found Sam and cleaned up the puke off the floor, and a tree's worth of paper towels to help clean us up. We stripped Levi down to his diaper and I took him in the kitchen to get us washed up--where he threw up a couple more times in the sink. I grabbed a paper cup, just in case, for the trip home. Good thing I did! Levi made a valiant effort at getting the cup to his mouth in time and was able to contain half of the barf. Man... I felt so bad for the kiddo! The good news is, the puke stain came out of my shirt. Hooray!

One more little insight into the life of a mom: On Thursday I happened to stumbled onto a sale at Old Navy. All of their clearance clothes were an additional 50% off. So, I used some money I saved up to buy some much needed clothes for myself. I wore the first new shirt on Friday... with the first puking incident. Then I wore my second new shirt on Saturday... and Brinley pooped on me. I wore my third new shirt on Sunday... Levi puked all over me. This is why clothes don't last long when you have kids. Good thing I bought more than three shirts!

So far, no puke today. Keep your fingers crossed!

6 comments:

Tennille and Nathaniel said...

Wow! That's a hard story to top! It looks like you are a REAL mom. Not everyone would do that. Your children are lucky to have you! Most of my kids puking messes have been in the car. That smell is so hard to get out...especially with the sun baking it in at 300 degrees. Yuck!

Laurel said...

Yikes!!! I can't believe you caught the puke. I'm all about leaning them over the floor. Better there than on me:) You're such a good mom.

I totally understand the break from blogging. On the occasion that we are home and I have the chance to sit for a few minutes to blog, I spend my time catching up with other people's blogs. I'm too far behind on mine to tackle it. It's good to hear from you, though. Keep it up!

Shaela said...

oh my.... I am only laughing so hard because I have BEEN there! Man, the life of a mom isn't always glamorous, eh? Glad things worked out though and that you have documented this for posterity. And btw... I thought the EXACT same thing the summer after kindergarten, lol!

Kevin and Eliza said...

Happy new shirts and I'm glad that the barf came out of them. How did I miss that at church? JK

Michelle said...

Wow, sounds like quite the week for you!! That's funny that it made you feel like a "real" mom. I sometimes feel like I'm play-acting... haha! Obviously he hasn't thrown up on me yet! :)

Laurel said...

Summmer's OVER!! Where are you?