Thursday, May 28, 2009

Projects!

I love to do artsy/decorative projects around the house, but since having two kids I haven't had time to do much in that area. Well, now I'm making time! Here are a couple of projects I've done recently. I can't wait to do more as time and money allow!

I made this for Sam for his birthday:
I tried out a new technique and I love how it turned out. I call it "black-washing." First I painted the board green, then I super-watered down black paint and brushed over the top, then wiped off the excess with a rag. I think it looks pretty awesome.

I got this chair at a garage sale for $2. Awesome deal, huh? I stacked a few coffee table books and a plant I got on clearance from Joann's on it, and it makes a great filler for the empty corner in my downstairs bathroom.


This is the project I am most excited about. I painted canvases the same color as the wall and then "green-washed" (I guess...maybe I should just call it "color-washing" since you can use whatever color you want...) them and painted the edges black. I love, love, LOVE how it turned out. This hangs in my downstairs bathroom as well. With the chair and this artwork, my downstairs bathroom is now complete...probably the only room in my entire house that I am satisfied with decor-wise. Probably also the least used room. Oh well. So exciting!

p.s. All the vinyl in my projects I got from my sister, Amber. Thanks Amber!

5 comments:

Kevin and Eliza said...

Wow you have been busy updating this blog. I noticed your beautiful project in your bathroom yesterday when we came over for dinner. I love it.

Laurel said...

You are totally making me miss my vinyl machine!! I love those!

Shelly said...

cute stuff Kels!

Michelle said...

Love what you've done! You are always so creative!

BTW, about the book list, it's a good way to direct your reading, I may have to follow suit. I went through it fast and counted 26 I've read, plus partial reads. And, I think you missed #6 in your color coding. :)

Shaela said...

fabulous projects!!