Friday, February 27, 2009

Strange Comforts

Does this image bring comfort to you?


I didn't think so. So, most kids have a special blanky or teddy that brings them comfort. Not Levi. No, he's too weird for that. His comfort item: fingernails. Usually the thumbnail, but any finger will work. Whenever he is tired or upset, he rubs our fingernails. It is so weird. But hey, we never have to worry about losing Levi's comfort item... kinda hard to misplace your fingernails.


This is Brinley's comfort item. Not nearly so weird, but it has a great story. I know that Heavenly Father is involved in the details of our lives, that He is intimately aware of us, and He loves to bless us. I know that the principles of personal revelation and inspiration are very true. Nothing has taught me this more than being a mother. I feel like I receive inspiration from the Lord every day.

Brinley has hated her carseat from day one. I think her main complaint was that she wasn't being held, therefore she hated it. She would scream and cry the entire time we were in the car everytime we went anywhere, even if she had just been fed and changed. Needless to say, I wasn't exactly thrilled to go anywhere. One evening, we were all headed out the door when a thought came to me, "Take the rattle with you." I recognized that this was a prompting because it was similar to other promptings I have received. I thought, "She can't play with a rattle yet," but I went and grabbed it anyway (it was still in its package). We got in the car and, of course, Brinley started screaming again. Then the though came, "Shake the rattle." So I did. IT WORKED! She stopped crying immediately. And it has worked almost everytime (unless she is hungry or needs a diaper change, but can you blame her?). We call it our "Magic Rattle". I am so grateful for that little rattle. I can now go places without going crazy. Mostly, I am grateful to the Lord for answering an unasked prayer.

(p.s. I no longer have to use the rattle all the time. Brinley doesn't mind her carseat nearly as much anymore. Sometimes she fusses until she's in the car. But it does still come in handy quite often... I'd better buy some backups!)

No comments: